I've Moved!

Saturday, May 3, 2014

black bean brownies.


Trying out a black bean brownie recipe has been on my to-do list for the longest time, along with many other things. I didn't keep putting it off because I was skeptical about it or anything, but because having to get a can of black beans specially for this occasion was a bit of a pain and I had a million other things I wanted to make too that didn't require me to go to the supermarket.

I finally got down to baking these brownies because I felt like baking but only had limited time. As you can see, this is an extremely simple and fuss-free recipe. Just dump all the ingredients into the blender and the batter is finished, like magic! The clean up is easy as well because none of the ingredients are oily.


I didn't do much research about this before I baked them so I had absolutely no expectations of how they would turn out. I was pleasantly surprised at how fudgy they are but I could still taste a faint black bean taste, which honestly was quite off-putting. I think it's because there wasn't enough sugar to back up the chocolate and mask the taste of the beans. I've increased the amount sugar accordingly in the recipe below.

Having said that, I refrigerated the brownies for a few hours and had one of them a few hours later when they were completely chilled. Surprisingly, they don't taste that bad anymore! Maybe they weren't that bad in the first place - after all I did eat a piece of real chocolate before tasting the brownies for the first time so the difference was bound to show quite starkly.

So my conclusion is that this recipe is worth a try, but if you are used to eating the real deal then your tastebuds might need some time to adjust to this "healthy" version.


Black Bean Brownies

1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
2 large eggs
3 tbsp milk
3/4 cup cocoa powder
pinch of salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
2/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder

Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare a 9 x 13 inch baking pan.

Put all the ingredients in a blender and blend until the consistency of brownie batter.

Scrape the batter into the pan and bake for about 30 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.

Cool completely before slicing.

No comments :

Post a Comment