I've Moved!

Sunday, October 28, 2012

browned butter m&m and raisin cookies.


Following my success from a chocolate chip skillet cookie recipe, I vowed to remake it in its original handheld form. I pottered about the kitchen, acting according to the recipe's instructions. Nothing unusual. I eventually reached the step where I had to add in my chocolate chips, but as I was about to liberally empty out the bag's contents, I stopped. I twisted the mouth of the bag shut and snapped a rubber band around it. Then, I made my way to the fridge, yanked open my chocolate compartment, deposited the rejected bag of chocolate chips and withdrew... a bag of M&Ms. As I was about to shut the door, I noticed a pack of raisins. I got that out too.

So instead of chocolate chips, I had M&Ms and raisins. I thought... what a brilliant idea.


I love the splashes of colour the M&Ms add to the otherwise monotonous earthy colour of the cookies but the downside is that the chocolate does not flow freely. M&Ms are simply not designed to melt smoothly. The raisins in these cookies are a wonderful addition. I have a soft spot for chocolate and raisins together and this is no exception. Just when the cookie is getting too rich and buttery, the raisins' sweetness is such a refreshing change.

I underbaked the cookies to attain a moist, hopefully chewy interior but I didn't manage to get the chewy quality. Perhaps the cookies have too little butter or too much flour? I distinctly remember a wonderfully toothsome chocolate chip cookie I made too way back- I need to dig up that recipe again.


Browned Butter M&M and Raisin Cookies
makes 24

1 stick butter, melted and browned
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup M&Ms
1/2 cup raisins

Mix the flour, baking soda and salt together.

Combine the browned butter, sugars and vanilla in a bowl. Add the egg and mix to incorporate. Add the flour mixture and stir just until incorporated. Add the M&Ms and raisins. Portion the dough into 24 balls, place them on a prepared baking sheet, flatten them and then chill overnight.

Preheat oven to 350F. 

Bake cookies for about 8 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned and center is still pale and soft.

No comments :

Post a Comment