I've Moved!

Friday, December 10, 2010

honey cornbread muffins.

*Update: I realized that I misread the proportion of butter! I used twice the amount of butter required because I halved the recipe and somehow forgot to halve the butter. Dang it... It would have been a great muffin otherwise. So ignore whatever I said before on the butter and the honey flavour. Lesson learnt: Never bake immediately upon awakening from a 4 hour sleep.
They were... a bit of a disappointment, really. The honey flavour didn't stand out and the top wasn't as crunchy as the ones I made before. Although, it surpassed Dorie's in one area- because the batter was more liquid, the cornmeal was able to soften up and lessen that gritty feel.
It had that same open crumb. Light and fluffy. I got this recipe from The Neelys on foodnetwork.com. The only adjustment I made was to add in frozen corn because I love biting into a sweet juicy kernel. So, the verdict?


The Crust: Corniest corn muffins by Dorie wins hands down. The crust was so much crunchier than this one. I love my crust so this is a very very important factor.


The Taste: I would say corniest corn muffins won the battle again. Although this recipe has more butter, Dorie's recipe was somewhat just... better. Plus the fact that the honey from these honey cornbread muffins didn't come out at all.


The Texture: Both are light and fluffy with an open crumb but the honey cornbread muffins are less gritty and crumbly because of its looser batter. 


Health Factor: Honey cornbread muffins has twice the amount of butter! 


Drumroll please... Corniest corn muffins wins!


Honey Cornbread Muffins 
Recipe from THE NEELYS
Yields 12

Ingredients

  • 1 cup yellow cornmeal
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/2 stick butter, melted
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • Special equipment: paper muffin cups and a 12-cup muffin tin

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Into a large bowl, mix the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. In another bowl, whisk together the whole milk, eggs, butter, and honey. Add the wet to the dry ingredients and stir until just mixed.
Place muffin paper liners in a 12-cup muffin tin. Evenly divide the cornbread mixture into the papers. Bake for 15 minutes, until golden.
How about you? Which recipe do you prefer?

No comments :

Post a Comment