I've Moved!

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

salted caramel sauce.

Making caramel always sounds so daunting, but really, its actually very simple! You may roll your eyes and go, "That's what they always say." but 90% of the making is just watching the candy thermometer and the pot. 


I had no idea why I wanted to make salted caramel. I guess I was just bored and had a desperate need to be in the kitchen. No regrets making this caramel whatsoever because even though its my first time, I think I did pretty well! I used the recipe from Martha Stewart's Cupcake book and replaced the heavy cream with evaporated milk. It's perfectly legal and you can erase some of the guilt when you spoon more caramel into your mouth.


"It's low fat!"


My caramel turned a little lumpy after I added the evaporated milk. Did I do something wrong? Can any experienced caramel makers help me out?
I'm so excited to use it! Look out, world! I'm gonna dump this sauce on everything.


Salted Carmel Sauce
makes about 2 cups
Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups sugar
2/3 cup water
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream (I used evaporated milk)
2 1/2 teaspoons sea salt, preferably fleur de sel
Directions
Heat sugar with the water and corn syrup in a heavy saucepan over high, stirring occasionally, until syrup is clear; clip a candy thermometer to side of pan and stop stirring.

Cook until syrup comes to a boil, washing down sides of pan with a wet pastry brush as needed. Boil, gently swirling pan occasionally, until mixture is caramelized and just reaches 360°F. Remove rom heat and slowly pour in cream; stir with a wooden spoon until smooth. Stir in sea salt.

Use immediately; if caramel begins to harden reheat gently until pourable.

No comments :

Post a Comment