I've Moved!

Friday, November 19, 2010

dreamy creamy hot cocoa.

There are not many recipes that warrant a repeat, reason because there are so many things I want to try. So when I say I made this hot cocoa twice, you know its good.


To me, a hot cocoa is not worth drinking unless its thick and satisfying. But to make it thick, you need to add chocolate and possibly cream. And that's not really ideal if you can't stop slurping that dark deliciousness. Hence, I made my own version, using cornstarch to thicken it. Honestly, its just a pudding in disguise. Shh.
Its thick enough to stand your straw up in it! I served mine with more salted caramel at the bottom. I got the inspiration from Starbucks' salted caramel hot chocolate and damn, its good. I'm down to my last 2 tablespoons of it already. I would make some more, if I didn't have another kind of sauce in mind. That, I shall leave for you to guess. 
Cocoa unlocks its flavour best in plain old water, but it wouldn't be creamy enough to be comforting. I used half water and half milk to solve that problem. I'm really proud of this formula I'd come up with. I hope you can give it a try and let me know if you like it!


Dreamy Creamy Hot Cocoa
makes 1 delicious serving
Ingredients:
1 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons Hershey's cocoa powder (or any kind that can be used for baking)
2 teaspoons cornstarch
a pinch of salt
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup milk
1/4 tsp vanilla extract


Directions:
Mix the sugar, cocoa powder, cornstarch and salt in a saucepan. Slowly stir in the water until there are no lumps then stir in the milk. 

Heat the mixture until it comes up to a boil, stirring constantly. Keep going until it thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon. Stir in vanilla extract.


Let cool before serving. Add some salted caramel if desired!

No comments :

Post a Comment